ConfigMgr CB 1702 Unknown Computer Support reports ‘there are no task sequences available to this computer’

One of our customers is having an issue with ConfigMgr Current Branch 1702 where the Task Sequence engine is reporting ‘there are no task sequences available to this computer’ when using Unknown Computer Support.

smstslog1 - ConfigMgr CB 1702 Unknown Computer Support reports 'there are no task sequences available to this computer'

‘There are no task sequences available to this computer’ when using Unknown Computer Support

According to this post on Reddit, Microsoft is aware of a known bug in 1702 where the SMSUID of the x64 Unknown Computer object is assigned to another computer object, rather than it generating a new SMSUID.

We can verify that this is the case in SQL by running the following commands

select * from UnknownSystem_DISC
UnknownSystemUID - ConfigMgr CB 1702 Unknown Computer Support reports 'there are no task sequences available to this computer'

Obtain the SMSUID for the x64 Unknown Computer object

We can then run the following query to locate the computer object using this SMSUID.

select * from System_DISC where SMS_Unique_Identifier0 like '32c7eedc-1497-4fe3-b3ad-6cb5b55b2bb3'

We can see that another computer object has this SMSUID!

VN DP1HTZ1 - ConfigMgr CB 1702 Unknown Computer Support reports 'there are no task sequences available to this computer'

This computer object has the x64 Unknown Computer SMSUID

Therefore we receive ‘there are no task sequences available to this computer’ as the Task Sequence engine processing assigned Task Sequence deployments for that machine.

The post includes a permanent fix and states that Microsoft will be releasing a hotfix for 1702 to address this issue which I recommend waiting for. For now we have a few options:

1. Pre-stage the computer object (using Import-CMComputerInformation cmdlet) so that we’re building using known objects only
2. Delete the computer object that has the same SMSUID as the x64 Unknown Computer object, delete SMSCFG.ini on the machine and restart ccmexec to generate a new SMSUID.

Update 07/06/2017

Microsoft have fixed this issue in an update rollup released for ConfigMgr CB 1702

https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/4019926/update-rollup-for-system-center-configuration-manager-current-branch-v

Hope this helps!

Sam

Sam Lewis

While Sam has a strong technical background in Systems Management and End User Computing, he also understands the business and commercial aspect of any engagement he is involved in. Sam’s clients are consistently happy, and typically single him out to be invited back for future engagements.

This Post Has 12 Comments
  1. Hi there – I just applied this update rollup yesterday, and only now am I experiencing this issue with unknown computer support. Any suggestions?

  2. Around two weeks after applying the 1702 update rollup referenced above (4019926) I saw this issue for the first time today after I used the Back button during OSD. I suspect the issue was not resolved in 4019926.

    I used your Option #2 to ‘fix’ this and told everyone to not use the Back button anymore. Seems to be working okay for now.

    1. Have same issue, 4019926 installed but after using the back button for the first time its now screwed up.
      moreover running the ” select * from System_DISC where SMS_Unique_Identifier0 like ‘%SMSUID%’ ” gives me the name of the machines that have SMSUID, but …. if i delete the machine from SCCM Console … the record is still there ffs.

      Should I be doing the “Delete the computer object that has the same SMSUID as the x64 Unknown Computer object” in some special way ?

      1. Deleting the object from the console should result in the object deletion from the database. Alternatively you could use PowerShell to do this, something like ‘Remove-CMDevice -ResourceID (Get-CMDevice | where Name -eq ‘ ‘).ResourceID -Force’

        Did you update your boot images after applying the fix? I haven’t seen the issue return after doing this.

  3. This was HUGE! I came across this article yesterday and skipped it thinking it didn’t apply to our particular issue. After going through every article on Googles first page, SCCM sub-Reddit, and more, I finally came across this article again but this time with the intention of following it. After running the discovery task, it turns out there was a duplicate GUID of a machine that had previously been imaged and deployed that was conflicting with our unknown computers collection. Once I deleted the duplicate record, deleted the smsconfg.ini, I am now able to image! Thank you so much for this article!

  4. Below is a WQL query that can be used to detect this issue. If any results are found, you have a problem.
    Also, don’t forget to re-create your boot images after the hotfix … I missed that one.

    Select SMS_R_System.ResourceID, SMS_R_System.Name, SMS_R_System.SMSUniqueIdentifier
    From SMS_R_System
    Join SMS_R_UnknownSystem
    On SMS_R_System.SMSUniqueIdentifier = SMS_R_UnknownSystem.SMSUniqueIdentifier

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *